(Барьеры и решения)
(Применение в науке, лаборатории, ..)
(Ссылки на другие сайты)
The life of OS/2 can be prolonged till 2025
Date: 2019-12-14 00:43:50 |
Correspondent: Eugene Gorbunoff
One of the main barriers for OS/2 - support of UEFI.
New computers (~ 2012) use UEFI interface instead of old BIOS.
Currently major part of this computers support Legacy mode
(emulation of old BIOS),
but the manufacturing of such compatible computers will stop in
2020 and UEFI-only computers will flood the market.
This will cut the chances of OS/2 for commercial usage and expansion
because commercial solutions can be delivered with new computer only.
OS/2 will support Used (preowned) computers only.
What forecast do you see for OS/2 if UEFI is implemented?
There was a report from Germany about current state of ArcaOS OS/2:
- new loader is integrated to the installer of ArcaOS (beta version)
- => so you can boot ArcaOS installer in UEFI mode
- On some computers you can create the volume and use OS/2. (computers which support UEFI with boot from MBR)
- other computers don't allow usage of MBR volumes and require GPT structure on the hard drive.
- Some drivers should be updated (video, ..)
The Colloquium of eCo Software engineers forecasts
that you will be able to use OS/2 till 2025 year.
The forecast is effective if
- ArcaOS with support of USB 3.0 is released in 2020
- ArcaOS with partial support of UEFI is released in 2020
- if the problem of reduced memory is resolved. (you can use 2 Gb of RAM only of new computers)