Rules, suggestions, recommendations how to develop OS/2
т.е. советы, чтобы платформа развивалась.
Наверное нужно "идеально" надо, чтобы..
и про тот же вопрос должно быть написано: "а вот такое точно вредно: .."
OS/2 arrows: 5.1. Banners exchange
5.1. Banners exchange
OS/2 websites should exchange banners, links.
One site should point to other OS/2 sites.
Software catalogues, News sites, companies should be included to banner networks.
Experience in the past: OS/2 Ring in 90-th.
The users really were walking by several sites.
- It's so difficult to attract guests to OS/2 world.
If new user comes to an OS/2 site then we should show him links to other sites.
Large websites should support smaller websites and pages of standalone developers.
- The links to other sites should be placed on some pages of the site,
not all pages. Online shops, press-release pages, etc can be free of banners.
- The owner of site should have a choice and select from several banners networks.
eCo Ring banners network:
How to verify if OS/2 is growing?
- If large OS/2 sites link one each other then OS/2 is moving.
- If no banners then the owners don't work for OS/2 market.
OS/2 arrows: 2.1: What components to include to OS?
It's necessary include to OS/2 as many utilities and extenders as possible.
We talk about functions: service, disk, file utilities, .. software aimed to maintain the system.
Basic apps for users, any drivers.
Moreover, it's necessary include all demo versions of commercial software.
Those applications which are distributed with OS, have maximal sellings.
The applications which are not included - are used by <1% of users.
(The developer of OS is obligated create special conditions
for the developers of commercial software, because they define the area of OS usage).
The users post the requests what functions to include:
- Local system -> System setup -> there should be Device Manager, viewer of PCI devices.
* Desktop, click on picture -> there should be Convert command in popup menu,
new converters can be included to OS without discussions.
- Programs -> Modern picture viewer should be included to the system.
- Templates folder -> template of Address book, cards with personal information should be located there
- System doesn't boot. The users want boot from DVD and start a Doctor to repair system.
This utility should be created (or Safe mode)
- .. [+] Add your requests (we expect to see 50 - 100 offerings)
A.3) By default all new functions and not visible (installed but not running)
and popup by request of users.
- No need to create objects for Music Converts applications. Convert function
may be (hidden) inserted into object popup menu of audio files (objects)
- No need to create 50 icons (objects) in Programs folder.
There should be 7+-2 (5 .. 9) folders, which contain other sub-folders.
And all dosenz of applications are sorted by this folders (categories)
A.4) Who manages the list of new functions? (modules which should be included to the OS)
The developer of OS or user groups.
OS developer is publishing some requirements to new modules:
- the utilities should me multi-language
- quality: some requirements to quality
- License to distribute the module with OS
Formula: How to detect, is it necessary include the module to OS or not
- This utility / feature is important for all users? then YES
- Is it system utility? YES
- Is it WPS class? YES
- Is it fix / patch for OS? YES
- Is it front-end aimed to setup OS? YES
- Is it must-have feature for any modern OS? YES
- Is it small application popular among users? YES
- SysInfo utility? YES
Discussion of the topic:
OS/2 Arrows: 6.1 Green corridor for small Solutions
To extend OS/2 market and add 1 user, it's necessary sell 1 PC with OS/2 pre-installed.
Seems that this new user will use this computer to make money (to use this computer as
machine designed to fulfill 1 task ((aimed to earn money)).
Current situation: there are no conditions to develop new solutions, because
for companies it's cheaper to buy Solutions based on Windows:
- 1) cost of Windows license = 0 USD, (The PC was purchased with Windows pre-installed)
- 2) cost of application (point of sale, CMMS system, warehouse application) = N USD (example: 100 USD)
- 1) cost of OS/2 license = 300 USD
- 2) cost of application, = N USD ($100)
- 3) expenses to setup OS/2 = X USD (example: $50)
As result, there are no conditions to sell cheap (not expensive) Solutions based on OS/2.
If the cost of Solution is high (for example, $10 000) then the cost of OS
license is not so significant and OS/2 Solution can compete by the cost.
But we don't have companies which can create this advanced/expensive Solutions.
(example, training machine to control Space ship).
How to resolve the problem? What is the direction of "OS/2 arrow"?
- 0) The cost of Commercial license should be lower than Home/Personal license.
(For example, when you buy 2 apples in a shop, you pay 1.0 usd per apple.
If you want buy 1000 apples then the shop gives you a discount, and you pay 0.9 usd per apple)
- 1a) Several companies should sell PC computers with OS/2 pre-installed.
- 1b) OS/2 distributor should reduce the cost of OS/2 license for this companies.
(ideal price: $20 ((equal to Windows cost)), more realistic: 30% discount).
So the cost of OS/2 license is reduced.
- 2a) The distributor (OS developer) should support (donate) the developer of
Ready for Use Solutions so the developer can reduce the cost of software.
- 2b) The distributor must promote the Solution at own homepage.
- 3) The distributor should make expenses to support the customer.
What will change if implement this suggestions?
- The companies are interested to buy more OS/2 licenses to reduce expenses.
- New solution may be developed => The sellings of OS/2 will grow.
What happens if keep the situation as is? (use old model of sellings)
- No new solutions => The sellings of OS/2 go down
(because the sellings to companies which purchased OS/2
solutions in 90-th and 200x go down) => No resources to
develop the system.
// edition: F1215