(Барьеры и решения)
(Применение в науке, лаборатории, ..)
(Ссылки на другие сайты)
Acer Travelmate 5720
(This report is prepared by ecomstation.ru scout), source of information: Peter Brown
eCS 2.0 GA
I got conned into this by my son who has just purchased this "2nd user" laptop.
An interesting experience ...
- 1st attempt with install options set to Modern Hardware, Safe mode using Panorama video driver:
Very slow getting past the eCS2 splash screen but, eventually, the Installer appeared. All went well until I tried to read the Reg Key from a USB drive - the USB ports do not seem to be working, the drive is not recognised and no message appears telling me the device ?: has been attached.
- 2nd attempt with install options set to Modern Hardware, ACPI mode using SNAP video driver (VBE mode automatically selected by SNAP):
Very quickly past the eCS2 splash screen and the Installer appeared.
No problems accessing the usb drive with the Reg Key on. Install completed OK but there were problems.
- No system sounds - have to investigate the different uniaud packages and see if I can some drivers that work.
- Having added /SMP and /APIC to the PSD=ACPI.PSD line I rebooted.
- I could not get a wireless connection; the (genmac) drivers for the Intel 3945 nic seemed to load OK but failed to connect to the router almost next to the laptop.
- I removed the other nic driver (Broadcom, wired socket and not required) and protocols using the Adapters and Protocols app and rebooted. No change, still no wireless connection.
- The system also seems a bit "off" in that it "pauses" for a short period of time when it is possible to move the mouse pointer but it is not possible to actually click on anything. The cpu meters also stop moving during these "pauses". I suspect ACPI problems...
I decided to try changing the PSD= line in config.sys again and replaced /APIC with /PIC and rebooted. That worked fine, the laptop can now "internet" successfully and the system "pauses" are gone :-)
Looks like my suspicion of ACPI problems was correct.
Still no audio so I'll have to look into that a bit further.
Overall, quite a nice laptop - shame the install needed so much faffing around though.
Information is sent by: eComStation.RU Scout -- 2010-12-08 14:16:48
Test the program:
WarpOverlay! - video-overlay for video adapters, which were manufactured before 2006
Ideas for the developers:
OS/2 and eComStation stay under mass barrage during the last 10 years: major part of reviews about the OS: Is it dead or not? We don't see technical reviews about advantages of the system. Let's write good reviews of eComStation together!
IBM OS/2 Warp